There are many wonderful blogs out there. I am honored that you are reading mine!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jack Mackerel Cakes














I dedicate this post to my oldest son. If it were not for him I would have never discovered how much I love this dish. He is an avid fisherman and is quite knowledgeable about fish, their habitats, fishing and now recipes. This recipe originally began as Salmon Cakes, but thanks to him is now made even more reasonably priced with the use of Jack Mackerel. I will post a similar salmon recipe at a later time.

Recipe tip: I love McCormick's Salmon Spice, but I will often change what I use either because I cannot get the Salmon Spice or simply because I like to experiment with flavors and spices. I have also used McCormick Garlic and Onion. Today I am using Old Bay Garlic and Herb Seasoning.

Jack Mackerel Cakes
1 15oz. can jack mackerel, drained and spinal column removed
1 egg
1tsp. McCormick Salmon Spice (see recipe tip for substitution)
1 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/4 cup Hellman's mayonnaise (gluten free is written on the label, yay!)
canola oil for frying

1. Place mackerel in a bowl, break large pieces apart so that it combines well with the other ingredients.
2. Place egg, spice, cornmeal and mayonnaise in the bowl with the mackerel, stir thoroughly to combine.
3. Take a heaping tablespoon of mixture and shape into cakes. Place on a plate and cover with plastic wrap.
4. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours; even overnight. This step is very important so the cakes do not fall apart.
5. Heat enough oil in a pan to fry the cakes. Gently place a few cakes in the pan at a time. Fry until golden brown, turn and fry the opposite side in the same way.  Place on a plate with paper toweling. Serve and ENJOY!

Makes 12-15 cakes

No comments:

Post a Comment