There are many wonderful blogs out there. I am honored that you are reading mine!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Corn Fritters

I love corn fritters!  Oddly, I never made them before my celiac diagnose 2 1/2 years ago. Having celiac disease certainly has been bittersweet. On one hand there are a lot of foods I can no longer eat, but as I said in a post last year, "I no longer eat, I taste!" What could be better than that? OK, back to the recipe. I originally found this little gem on All Recipes. It was offered by Joan Zaffery. She adds, "Nothing warms up a cool night like a plateful of old-time corn fritters!" Although I agree with Joan, I will add they are fantastic anytime of year.

Recipe tip:  To make these fritters gluten free I use Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix in place of the sifted all-purpose flour. I also use thawed frozen corn I saved from the previous summer. YUM!

Corn Fritters 
3 cups oil for frying
1 cup Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
 1 Tbs shortening, melted
 1 (12oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained

1. Heat oil in a heavy pot to 365 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine Pamela's Baking Mix, baking powder, salt and sugar. Beat together egg, milk,  melted shortening and stir into baking mixture. Stir in the corn kernels.
 3. Drop fritter batter by the spoonfuls into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, flipping once if necessary. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy!

Yields approx 12 fritters.

I almost forgot, my husband loves these fritters served with jelly or jam. At first, I wasn't so sure, but trying the fritters dipped in a little homemade peach freezer jelly made me a believer. Thanks honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment